Monday, October 29, 2012

Peace, Beauty, and a Wonderful Savior.

I just got back from a trip to see my dear friend Erica and her family.  She lives in Jackson, Kentucky...well, the address is Jackson.  The actual location is WAY out in the middle of nowhere.  No cell service, no GPS,  just amazing beauty.

My first morning there, we had to leave early because Erica had an appointment just outside of Lexington.  We would be leaving just before 8am so I was up well before Sunrise.  After breakfast, I had the opportunity to sit out on the porch of Erica and Kris's home (See above...duplex on the left) and watch the sunrise.  It was a cool morning...about 40ish degrees.  As I sat on their porch, I simply could not stop smiling.  It was cool (which I LOVE) and quiet.  I could hear the leaves brushing against each other on the trees and the birds begin to sing ever so slightly.  Then the sun began to rise and the darkness that surrounded me began to change ever so slowly to light.  The trees started to showcase their beautiful colors as the sun began to reflect against their leaves.  As I sat there and took pictures of the changing scenery as the sun rose, I was just in awe of our amazing Creator.  He designed every leaf, every tree, ever hill I was enjoying.  It was a wonderful time of communion with God.


Then on Sunday morning, it was a rainy day, but once again I was up early and while the house was still quiet I stepped out on the back porch to read my Bible.  And once again, I was in awe of the beauty that God was showing me.  Behind their home is a lovely little footbridge on one side and the side of a foothill on the other.  I stood on that porch and read from my Bible and once again enjoyed a time in the presence of the magnificent Creator.  It was a blessing that I won't soon forget.

Sometimes we need to get away to be able to appreciate the beauty that surrounds us. I know for me, those few days with wonderful friends and surrounded by a canvas only God could paint, I was able to draw closer to my Savior...and that is a treasure worth far more than anything else I could imagine.  Thank you Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment