Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Welcome to Confusion: Population Me

About a year and a half ago, I started not feeling well. The doctor in California said that it was probably stress and pretty much ignored my symptoms. At the time, I was under a lot of stress, so I accepted what he told me because most of my symptoms could be stress related…except for the fact that I was running a semi-constant low grade fever that just wouldn’t go away. As far as I know, stress does not cause a fever. However, the symptoms eventually went away for the most part after a couple months.

Then in March of this year, all the craziness began again but this time, it didn’t go away. I started going to the doctor out here in Missouri and that began an array of tests. The problem was that all the tests they ran came back clear, but I was still running a fever (low grade, but still 1-3 degrees higher than my normal), was having pain in my stomach, and a few other symptoms that would come and go. The fever was the only absolute constant. The second most constant was the stomach pain. Talk about infuriating. I thought I was going to lose my mind. Fortunately one of my doctors was very encouraging in that he agreed with me that something was definitely wrong, we just hadn’t found it yet. So, the search continued.

A week ago, I was told that I have a fibroid tumor on the top of my uterus. It is 3.5 x 2.8 x 3.3cm. It’s not cancer, but surgery was an option! I was so excited because I thought this was the answer to all the problems. I wasn’t all that excited about being cut on, but hey, if it would solve the issue, bring on the knife!

So, today I went to see my OB/GYN to talk about surgery options. She gave me two. Option one: Keep the fibroid…it’s degenerating so it might not cause more problems. However, one you start to get fibroids, you will probably continue to do so.

This didn’t seem like a good option because I’d have to keep all the symptoms that I’ve been dealing with. So, on to option two….

Option two: Hysterectomy.

WHAT???? Seriously…those were the only options I was given. I was heartbroken. But at the moment, I knew nothing else to do. I’ve had an Abdominal Ultrasound, Hyda-scan, Pelvic Ultrasound, Upper GI, Colonoscopy, more bloodwork than I can remember and another test that I can’t remember the name of (but it made me sick) and EVERY test came back clear. I have my regular doctor, a gastroenterologist and now an OB/GYN on the case and this was the only abnormality that had been found at all. So, I told them to schedule the surgery. However, the earliest spot available is Sept. 24th. I told them I would let them know next week if that would work.

I talked to an OB/GYN who used to attend our church and he gave me some very wise counsel and advice. At his suggestion, before I make any decision, I’m going to talk to my general practitioner and ask her to relook at all of the test results and see if she can find a reason that has perhaps been missed. And if not, what the next step should be in her opinion. It’s too late to make an appointment today, so I’ll call about one for tomorrow or Friday.

I had planned to have some answers to put into this blog tonight, but I only have more questions. I appreciate your prayers as we continue to search for whatever this mystery illness is. You are a blessing to me. Thank you so much for your support.


  1. We will continue to pray for wisdom for these doctors. You keep asking the questions . . . every question that pops into your mind. One of those questions might lead to another solution.
    Love you, Toni!
    Aunt Jackie

  2. I am so sorry, sweetheart! What terrible news! I will definitely be praying for wisdom for you and for all your doctors as you evaluate how to proceed. Keep me posted!

    - Kathryn