Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Voting Day!

Today is the day we have long awaited.  For some, the excitement comes from getting to vote in their first election.  For others, it is simply because we know what a privilege it is to be able to vote and we want to do our duty.  And for others still, it is because we know that after today we will no longer be bombarded with political ads...and let's face it, that is a blessing for everyone.

Today, as I went to vote, I was excited to do my part.  I know that it is an honor to be able to vote.  Many people have fought and died so that I can voice my opinion on who should run our city, county, state, and country.  My one of my roommates from college, Krista Embry, put this on her facebook page today:

Day 6 of Thanksgiving: I am thankful today for those who have gone before and protected my freedom to have my voice heard as I choose a candidate in the election. Even though those who died protecting our freedom may not be able to cast a ballot today, in a way, all of us who are, and do - still give them a voice.

Excellent words Krista!  Very well said!  I agree wholeheartedly.

Some have said that they chose not to vote today, or perhaps they have "thrown away" their vote by writing in a candidate that is fictional.  That is also their right.  It is unfortunate that anyone would choose to do either of those things, but they have the right to do what they please whether I like it or not and I am glad that they have the opportunity to make their own choices.  We live in a land that lets us have the right to choose and that is something that we should never take lightly.  Too many people around the world would give anything to have the opportunity to vote for us to ever see it as anything less than a privilege.

I am proud that I have the right to vote.  I am honored that I got to do so today.  I will commit to praying for whichever candidate wins the election...even if it is not the one I voted for.  Will you do the same?


No comments:

Post a Comment