Friday, July 16, 2010

Cousin's Weekend

This weekend is a special one on the James side of my family. It is the phenomenon known as “Cousin’s Weekend” and I’m sad to say that I’m missing it. I haven’t gotten to go for several years. But, I wanted to write about it anyway because I think it’s such a neat thing.

I have an enormous family. I’m sure you probably think I’m exaggerating, but I’m really not. When we all get together (on either side of the family actually) we could make up the population of a small town. On my Dad’s side, the James side of the family, our family is a bit unique because we are double cousins. You see, my Grandma has two sisters and one brother. One of Grandma's sisters married my Grandpa’s brother. And my Grandma’s brother married my Great Uncle’s (by marriage) sister. I suppose it sounds confusing, but it’s really not. We lost both of my Grandma's sister's in the last couple of years. Aunt Jean and Aunt Shirley were two of the most amazing women and we are truly blessed to have known and loved them. They are greatly missed.

We are this huge group of people who love to hang out together and support one another even though the miles separate us. I rarely get to see this extended part of my family, (it’s literally been years since I could attend a Cousin’s Weekend) and yet, when we do get to be together, it’s like I’d never been away. Thanks to facebook, I get to be in contact with quite a few of the family members on a semi regular basis and that’s awesome too.

So, here’s to this year’s Cousin’s Weekend!! I hope it’s a blast and somebody better send me some pictures. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment